I was very thankful on Sunday for the Condo that we had stayed in all weekend up in the mountains. Here's the story...
We left Breckenridge at 2 p.m. on Sunday afternoon headed for home after a good weekend of skiing. It had been snowing most of the 4 day weekend and was very windy as well on Sunday. We headed into Frisco to get on I-70 to head "down the mountain", hopefully before the Sunday afternoon crowds! No such luck! As we got about 1-1.5 miles from the highway, the traffic stopped. We could see up ahead it was gridlock on the highway. We tried to get around on the surface roads, but the Damn Road was closed (yes, that's the real name)! There isn't much to do in Frisco, so we waited our turn and got on the highway, headed for Dillon a few miles up the road. We figured we could hang out there until the traffic broke later in the evening. Well, 1.5 hours later we finally got off the highway and went shopping and to dinner in Dillon. While we were eating we realized that the highway was now closed. After a few phone calls to friends back home, it was confirmed. We were stuck! Thankfully we were warm and safe for the time being.
Not knowing how long the highway was to be closed, we came up with plan B - spend the night in Dillon. We called the condo owner and got permission to get back in - but we had to pick up the extra keys at the clubhouse since we had left our set on the counter as requested. When we went there to pick them up - the condo key was missing - there was only the front door key! A few phone calls later and we were calling a locksmith to rescue us with the owners permission! He charged us $90 for less than 5 minutes worth of work! What a racket!!! But at least we had a warm, dry place to stay!
The highway did eventually open back up around 9 p.m. and we heard that if you got on there right away, it was fine, but as soon as everyone heard the news, I'm sure it was packed. We eventually got up on Monday morning and drove back home - it still took us 2.5 hours. Ugh... one of our worst but best trips up skiing!!!
I think we made the right decision to play it safe! And I was very thankful for Rex and his condo!!!