Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sweet Home... Chicago!

Yes, I know that Castle Rock is my home, but there is a teeny weeny little part of me that will always miss Chicago! I miss the family and friends and the food! Ah, yes, the food....

OK, my very quick visit to Chicago was a BLAST!!!

On Saturday morning I started out with a visit to Dunkin' Donuts with Dad - yum, yum! Then Marles came and whisked me away for a great day of shopping, eating and more shopping! We started at Paper Source, where I stocked up on cards and pretty, pretty envelopes! Then it was off to lunch at Booby's - an old hangout of Hilary Clintons for a Gyros! Yum! The place by Marles' house is better, but this beat what we have here hands down!!! Then it was off to Archiver's. We did a little bit of shopping before we started our card class! The class was fun. We made 4 different cards and got to use some clear stamps and products I had never used before! The souffet pen they can keep - didn't like that! But loved most of the other stuff! Then we finished up the shopping and after gift cards, I got away with less than $20!!! How good was that?! Then it was off to Lands End, TJ Maxx, Michaels and Eddie Bauer. I did manage to find a few things for my trip to London! The last stop was off to Edwardo's for pizza with Marles and Paulie! Yum, yum, yum!!!!! I suppose it's a good thing I can't get it too often - I'd gain all the weight back and then some! It was a sad good-bye to Marles after dinner... but with any luck they'll be out to visit this summer as Paulie promised!!!

After dinner, my brother Ed picked me up and then my sister Kathy before heading to the Elbo Room for Michael's concert! Michael's band, Few Left was playing in a Battle of the Bands! When we got there we found Michael waiting to go on stage. He was so happy to see me, he gave me a great big hug! That made me feel really great to know that my 25 year old nephew was so happy to have me there! When he got up on stage, I was front row snapping pictures like crazy, rocking out to his music! He was really very good! I had no idea! This is him singing! The crowds cheered them on and the show of hands voting for his band was incredible! (It didn't hurt that the bar he works at bused in about 90 people!) In the end, they won the competition and are moving on to the next round! With any luck if they win the next 2 rounds, they'll go on a quick tour to Germany later this year! Good luck Mike!!!

After we listened to the band, Ed and I dropped Kathy off at home and picked Dad up and went to IHop for some early breakfast and ice cream! It was nice to sit there and talk with both of them. It's just like old times! Then I got the bright idea that I really wasn't tired and that Ed and I should just keep partying! So we dropped Dad off and headed to Teaser's Pub where Mike works for a few drinks! I had never gone to a bar with my brother before! Very weird to be in a bar with your gray-haired brother and his two sons!!! But it really was a lot of fun! Ed brought me back to his place at the respectible hour of 3:40 a.m.! It was still earlier than the time I went out with Kathy until 4 a.m.!! Wow what a FUN night I had!

On Sunday, Ed drove me back to Dad's where we were able to discuss more of our plans for London! It's hard to believe that we're going in about 4 weeks! Actually we leave in 30 days - yeah!!! After much discussions, we both took a quick nap before heading out to dinner. BTW, did I mention that the high in Chicago on Sunday was two (2)!!! Brrrrrrrrr!!!! Dad and I met the rest of the family at Gulliver's for a great dinner around the great big table there. Unfortunately there were 2 people missing. Sarah ended up terribly sick and I didn't get to see her or her apartment. Boo hoo. And Katie had to stay up at Carthage because she had basketball practice. (I also missed a game of hers on Saturday because I had previous plans.) Otherwise, it was great to see everyone!

And before I knew it, it was Monday morning and I was headed back to the airport once again! At least tucked away in my suitcase was 2 Edwardo's pizza's, Dunkin' Donuts coffee and of course Mint Meltaways from Fanny May for Ms. Melanie!!! Ah the food... It was an awesome weekend!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome time for you!!!! Yep - it was cold around these parts. Doesn't sound like you got slammed with the snow we got here in Michigan Saturday night & then again on Sunday? Plus the white out conditions. Glad you had fun!

LisaDV said...

Sounds like so much fun. Love the Elbo Room, haven't been there in years. Congrats to your nephew on his win.

Marles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marles said...

Hey Boogs! Nice surprise to see our goofy faces on your blog! We sure did have fun, although it was way too short. Come back soon when it's not in the single digits! Brrrrrr...

toners said...

What a fun, busy weekend! Those are the best! The photos are great - it's nice to see the faces of all the people you have told me about! :)

ejj said...

Gray haired brother !!! ...last time I bring my little sister to a bar! It was certainly a blast to be able to spend some time with you. Love ya...Ed