Saturday, May 17, 2008

I hiked it!!!


This is Castle Rock.... picture taken many moons ago long before the highway! Today, the railroad is still there, but there are churches, houses, roads and a highway running alongside of it. And there is even a park and established hiking trail up the hill to the rock! Since 1936, from November - February there is a giant star on top that is lit every night guiding the traveler to our little hamlet between Denver and Colorado Springs! You are not allowed to climb up on the rock itself, as a few who have did not return. It is a wonderful symbol for this great little town that we live in!

Today I conquered "The Rock" as my first hike after my surgery!! It's a little bit over 1/2 mile to the top of the hill with about 500 feet of elevation gain. It is a good thing they do not allow you to climb the actual rock - I don't think I could have handled that quite yet! But I did handle the hike fairly easily. The only stops we made were to let downhill people pass us and when I got to the top, my knee felt great! The downhill, which I suspected to be harder, was fairly easy. I felt great when I got to the bottom! I'm still trying to master those trekking poles, but I'm sure I'll get there soon!

So challenge one complete, tomorrow we're going to try Devil's Head (Fire) Tower! This hike is about 1.5 miles one way, but I think I can make it easily as far as the stairs to the actual fire tower! I'm not so sure I want to try those! There are well over 100 of them! I'll check in tomorrow with my results!!!

1 comment:

toners said...

Great picture! And great job by you! :)