Thursday, May 1, 2008

And the results are...

The ACL won!

My surgery was scheduled for 2:15 and we arrived at the surgical center 2 hours early. They went through all my prep and the doctors came in to discuss the procedures. We all agreed that if the ACL was bad enough, that they had permission to take care of that. Now I was scared. If it was the ACL my summer would pretty much be in rehab - not what I wanted. I just kept praying it would just be the meniscus. After they left, we waited and waited... And finally around 3:45 they wheeled me away! I remember moving to the surgical bed and then I was out..

When I finally woke up in recovery, the nurse explained that they did the ACL after all. The meniscus was torn in such a way that they just removed that portion, they did not repair it. Then they found the ACL was worse than they thought, so they repaired that as well! They took my hamstring to replace whatever they needed - lucky me!!! I did great in recovery, moving from the bed to the chair fairly quickly. Had some juice and crackers (I was starving) and then finally was allowed to go home about 8:30. It was a really long, long day!

When we got home, I had something to eat finally! (I could never be in a religion that fasts, I'd never make it!) Then I worked my way upstairs and into bed! The bathroom was the trickiest! When I woke up at 1 a.m., Dan was on the couch. I managed to get to the bathroom on my own, but felt like passing out once I was there. I laid down on the floor. Then when I felt better again, I slid across the floor into my closet where I found my step stool! I used this in the bathroom to prop up my leg so I could do my business! So much easier!!! Then I had to wake Dan to fix my dressing. Poor guy, he was pooped!!! We woke up this morning to SNOW!!!

Went to the doctor for my follow up. She changed my dressing and showed me what to do. Then it was off to rehab! I got my first exercised to do along with lots of other instructions. Then I learned my insurance wasn't going to cover therapy there, so I would have to find another place to go. Ugh - what a pain! The rest of the afternoon has been spent with cat-naps, short stints on the computer and my exercises! As you can guess, I'm not very good at sitting still!!!

So what does this mean for my summer hiking season.... well it's pretty much shot! Maybe by late summer I'll be able to get on some tougher hikes - only my therapist can tell me! I'm still going to get outside and enjoy the sunshine - I mean come on, you just can't stop me!!!

Ta ta for now!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Well just think about the hikes you will be able to take out here in CA next month. The ones along the ocean are great and easy on the knees. :)

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for the ACL repair - too bad you didn't know sooner - I know a GREAT place in Indy with a faster recovery time!
BUT you are one strong & determined lady & you'll beat everything long before they say you'll be there!

ejj said...

Looks like i might be carrying you up a mountain this fall.....not sure how that fits in with my marathon training...but what are brothers for...

Love ya...Ed

ejj said...

...reminds me of a song..."she's not heavy she's my sister"...

toners said...

I hope you took it easy for the rest of today! Did you do any damage while watching QVC? :)