Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Great News!

What a fun week this has been! I went to the doctor and got my stitches out on Monday. The doctor was very impressed with the progress and said that I looked great! He told me to keep moving, wear the brace for 4 more weeks and come back to see him. That was encouraging. The best part was that I could FINALLY take the compression socks off! They said Tuesday, but I peeled them off on Monday night when I got home!!

Then on Tuesday I went to the Physical Therapist (PT). He too thought the knee looked great and started me out on the bike pedaling away! Then he taught me more difficult exercises to add into my routine. I suppose that is the only way it’s going to get better! At least he said I could do them just 2x a day, since they'll now take me about 30 minutes each time. That's a long time in the morning when I have to leave at 6:30 a.m. and I'm NOT a morning person! He also told me to stop limping and to wean myself off the brace by taking it off at home and work! I'm happy with that! The brace can be a real pain!!! I should still wear it when I go outside though - it is really their to stabilize my knee on uneven surfaces. When I asked him if it was OK to hike around Moab over Memorial Day, he said sure! Wow, really? That was really encouraging! Then I pushed my luck even further and asked if I could climb Mt. Sherman on June 7th and he said ABSOLUTELY since I’m the proud new owner of trekking poles!!! Wow, I really like him now! I stopped there and didn't bother to ask about Mt. Huron on May 31st!!! Figure I'll see how well I do in Moab and maybe just use Mt. Huron as a warm up, with little expectation of making it to the top, but at least getting some trail under my boots! So see Ed, I am well on my way to the 14er in August!!!

I applied this week for an internal Payroll Manager position at Peliton, but didn't get the position. That is OK though as they have given me an opportunity to work as a Project Manager in HR and supervise our consultants through the HR projects. This will give me some more exposure to HR areas that I have drifted away from during my stint as Benefits Manager. Anything to get well rounded in HR again! Now if I could just get some more $$!!

Dan has been in Atlanta since Sunday morning. Melanie and I really miss him and look forward to his return tomorrow! I think he'll be around for a few weeks before he goes off again. And since our summer is about to start with camping, this is a good thing! Just 10 days or so until we go to Moab! That will be really fun to see Arches and Canyonlands again! It's too bad that we can't stay inside the parks - they were booked. We have a family campground booked just outside of town. That shall be interesting to say the least! They are usually very small sites and with all these kids, shall be cramped! Oh well, at least we'll be in the great outdoors (and with a shower right there!)

Off to finish up a CJ! Have a great night!

4 comments:

toners said...

Yeah! AWESOME news! I know how much you were looking forward to Moab - and now you can enjoy it even more!

Debbie said...

Sounds like it's been a great week!

Linda Nicholson said...

I'm glad to hear that your recovery is going well! I'm so impressed with the fact that you hike fourteeners (I'm so out of shape I would probably pass out after a mile or so)! LOL!

Linda

Unknown said...

GREAT news! You keep it up - you can do it!!! Enjoy your upcoming camping trip - only 32 more days till California!!!! Can't wait to see & meet you!